Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Chemistry 101

I never really like chemistry in school, nor was it my best subject. Most likely the reason I became a lawyer and not a doctor. After all, whenever anyone would ask young Mav what it was she was going to be when she grew up, I would answer, "a lawyer and a doctor...and a teacher." I had to throw teaching in there for good measure. I mean there was always the possibility that I would be a horrible public speaker...there goes the law career. One thing was for sure, I was not a science gal. I had the gift of gab...glib as they come. Some things never change. Anyway...at the tender age of 32, I have rediscovered the subject of chemistry. A subject I found no use for until now, when I have discovered that chemistry actually plays a large part in the success or failure of your personal relationships.

Case # 1: Destiny's Child

So the other night Destiny's Child had their much anticipated and long overdue, end of year reunion. Excitement was in the air. The show was completely sold out. We were all at home practicing our great moves. I left work early to prepare. My girls were coming over. Had to make sure the wine cellar was up to snuff. Then the phone rings...

Mav: Hello (laughing uncontrollably)
Boa: How does my ass look? (laughing uncontrollably at Mav laughing uncontrollably)
Mav: It never gets old. Where are you?
Boa: On my way, see you in 30!
Mav: Great! I'll pour the wine.
Boa: Leave some for me.

Thirty minutes later...

Knock knock...

Mav: Boa! The Ying to my yang. Running, no skipping, to the door.
We embrace. We giggle. We are both genuinely excited and happy to see each other. We sit. We drink. We talk. We anxiously await the star of the show (even Beyonce knows when it is time to let someone else have the spot light) our mother...Goose!

Text message:
Goose: I am on my way!

Mav to Boa: Goose is on her way (thinking thank god. I'm drunk)
Mav & Boa: Yea!!!!!

Knock, knock...

Mav & Boa: Goose!
Mav: I'll get it.
Boa: No, I'll get it.
Both running to the door, practically tackling our mother when she walks in the door...the ring! We want to see the ring.
Boa: Can I try it on?
Mav: I want to try it...

And so it went...we laughed, we re-lived old times, we talked, we drank, we ate...we had a great time, like we always do...

As I sat there looking around at my two friends, I couldn't help but notice the easy conversation, the constant smiles and general happiness that we were together. I can't ever remember a time when the three of us didn't have a great time together. I remember the first meeting. I was a bit nervous. I knew them both before...and individually, we have our own chemistry (ying & yang, right Boa?). But who knows how that chemistry is going to translate as a threesome?? That first introduction...I was sweating. Were they going to like each other? Were they each going to come to me separately and vow never to hang out with each other again??? We were only in the car 15 minutes before I knew that this whole chemistry thing is FOR REAL...because we have it...everyone can see it.

Case # 2: Brett

Brett is a really nice guy. He is fun and funny and cute too. But we have no chemistry. {side bar: Now Steve...he is a different matter. Chemistry abounded in that relationship, but alas, circumstances prevail...timing, timing, timing...this is a subject I will revisit in a month or so. Can't ignore the chemistry.} No matter how hard I try to "like" him (I feel just like a school girl), and on paper, I really do, I just don't...but as we learned from Case # 1, you either got it or you don't. There is no explanation for this phenomenon. But what I do know is that if you ain't got it, you can kiss the relationship goodbye, which is exactly what I did.

Case # 3: My BF (I am really going to have to come up with a better nickname for this person. Again feeling like a school girl. Do you still have the other half of our bf charm? Or maybe we can have shirts made. I hear airbrushing is making a come back. Sometimes I even crack myself up. hahaha) ANYWAY....

We got it. People comment on it. I don't understand it. But I wouldn't change it for the world.

So, what have we learned? Chemistry is that intangible, uncontrollable thing that makes relationships special. Chemistry comes in all types and forms. Sometimes it lasts a lifetime and sometimes it only lasts for the moment. Either way, it feels fucking great!

1 Comments:

Blogger Original Me said...

sing it beyonce!

yours truly, boa

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home