Monday, November 21, 2005

So You Say You Want To Know What Goes On Inside My Head

I present the first installment of what goes on inside my head.

Pet Peeves (Vol. 1) (WARNING…THIS POST CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH COULD BE CONSTRUED AS WHINING AND COMPLAINING…READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!)

1) The Telephone- I have some serious pet peeves with regard to the telephone. This may stem from the fact that I am on the phone a lot…and not just for fun either. It seems to be a significant part of my employment duties…I admit, I do let most calls go to voice mail, creating the duty upon myself to return the phone call. But I don’t like the demand a phone call puts on your time. What if I don’t want to deal with your issue right at the time you call…why should I be forced to do so? Exactly my point. I shouldn’t. …but I have gotten good at returning those calls. I use the 24 hour policy. A phone call should be returned, if possible, within 24 hours of receiving it. This way I have some time to digest the reason for the call and then it becomes my choice as to when (and how) I proceed. Now, truth be told…I don’t generally let personal calls go to voice mail unless I am in the middle of something or unless I know the person on the other end is going to want to chat…and I am tired, cranky, hungry, moody, etc. In which case, I will let it go to voice mail…I know what you are all thinking. When am I not either tired, or cranky, or hungry or moody?...but I still call back in 24 hours. That being said, it drives me nutty when people do not return phone calls (and you all know who you are). I mean seriously, one has to wonder…do you listen to the message and make a conscious decision NOT to call back, i.e., ring, ring, vm picks up: hello friend, co-worker, client, colleague, whoever…Its Mav…I’m calling to say {insert reason for call}, end call with talk to you soon, call me back, etc…Friend, co-worker, client, colleague, listens to the message and says: I am definitely NOT calling HER back! Cynical, I know, but I suppose at least one of those class of persons does say that, it just better not be the ones who you expect to call you back…and let me be clear about who you are…all friends, all co-workers, some colleagues, and some clients. More likely, the reason for the unreturned phone call is something a little less harsh, like “Oh…I forgot,” or the ever popular “You didn’t say call me back.” I have this one friend who has a serious aversion to the telephone. I know that 9 times out of 10, she is NOT going to return my phone call. {Sorry baby, but you know it is true} And when I complain, she tries and we get that number down to 5, assuming of course that I remember to actually say CALL ME BACK…baby steps. And this girl actually never answers the phone...which reminds me I find it terribly annoying when people don’t answer their mobile phones. I mean really…the very definition of a mobile phone is that you take it with you when you go. If you are not going to answer it when it rings…then seriously, get rid of it. And while we are on the topic of phones, if for some reason I don’t answer my cell phone, my blackberry, or my land line, just leave a message and I WILL call you back…don’t keep calling in hopes that by some stroke of luck I will finally answer…I always have a good reason for NOT answering my phone (or at least a reason-- hey, it doesn't have to be good!) and I definitely won’t answer a repeat caller and that's just on principle. Which is really why I hate when people don’t answer their phones and then don't return the call because then I am forced to be the person who is blowing up someone’s phone. (Mav shuddering…)

2) Not Saying God Bless You- When somebody sneezes, you say god bless you. Do you want to know why you say god bless you to somebody after they sneeze? Because when you sneeze your heart skips a beat. Now think about how bad you would feel if you didn’t say god bless you and the person who sneezed had a heart attack. Really quite simple. Look, we can practice...Mav: Ahhhhhhchewwwww (sneezing).What was that? God Bless me...why thank you.

3) The Response “Me Too”- Let me explain…because after all we are inside of MY head and like someone once said to me…”I know it makes sense in there (motioning towards my head) but we are all out here.” I have a big problem with people who respond “me too,” when someone says “I love you.” What do you mean “me too?” You love yourself too? It just makes no sense. We are not talking about what we had for lunch that day…”I had a sandwich. Me too.” I mean, think about when you would use that response. “I like ______ (insert anything),” and the response “me too,” is appropriate if you like that thing as well…Now think about when someone says, “I love you,” and your response, “Me too.” Building on the above example it really means that you love “you” too. Not me, but you. So unless you want me to think you are a complete narcissist, please, try…”I love you too.”

To be continued…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home